ARICULTURAL INFORMATION AND RESOURCE CENTRE
RADIO PROGRAMME PRODUCTION
ISSUE NO: 001
REV. NO: AIRC/SOP/RAD/001
SUBJECT: PROCEDURE FOR PRODUCTION OF A RADIO PROGRAMME
The unit undertakes production of agricultural radio programs in Kiswahili and 7 vernacular languages i.e.
Dholuo, Ekegusii, Kiluhyia, Kalenjin, Kikamba, Kimeru and Kikuyu. Main objectives of AIRC radio services are to complement extension services by:
- Reaching more listeners.
- Offering radio production services on demand at an affordable cost
N.B AIRC has no broadcast capability and therefore pays other media houses to air its programmes.
PURPOSE: This process describes the procedure to be followed when producing a radio programme at AIRC.
SCOPE: All programmes produced for broadcasting.
REFERENCES: AIRC Quality Manual.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Radio production team.
- There shall be a long term planning meeting where all the issues to be covered in the radio programmes for the year under review shall be discussed and agreed upon. The meeting shall develop a list of all the issues (topics) to be covered within the year. However, provision shall be given to allow for inclusion for other topical events of news nature which may take place from time to time throughout the planning period.
- There shall be a work plan which will be drawn from the developed annual work plan every two months. The work plan shall include issues from the annual work plan, to be covered that time, places to be visited and the budget which shall be approved by the director AIRC.
- Data collection will mainly be in form of interviews, songs stories, songs and any other material which the producer will deem necessary to be used in the radio production.
- The Data so collected will be processed in the studio; this will include down loading, listening, editing and selecting inserts which will form part of the programme.
- The producer will write the script.
- The producer shall direct presenters as they present the script in the studio
- The producer shall edit the programme to fit the time allocated for transmission of the programme before making final Cds, one for media house and one for the archive.
- The media house copy shall be delivered to the media house at least twelve hours before transmission of the same.